Friday, September 21, 2012

Unscene #9

At the Book Store

Lena pulled a book out carelessly, dropping it to the floor.  The man next to her stooped to pick it up.  Lena flashed her most winning smile.  “Thank you.”

“The Essentials of Great Sex,” read the man, a smile in his voice.  “You’re welcome.”

Lena took the book and immediately stuffed it back in the shelf.  She turned sharply on her heel and huffed over to her sister who was browsing at the next shelf.




“What an asshole,” she whined. “I’m bored, Jay. Let’s go.”


Jay only smiled and shook her head.  She hadn’t meant to overhear, and was still trying her damndest not to laugh out loud at her sister’s little misadventure. She refocused her attention on the book she was reading.

“I’m sorry, but if I don’t do this now, I know I might never have another chance again,” said the man quite shyly, yet determined.  “I just have to ask if you’d have a coffee with me, maybe.”

Silence.  Jay could feel the man shuffling uncomfortably on his feet.  She sighed.  She was used to this.  It always happens to Lena.  Pretty Lena.  Irresistible Lena.

“Lena, don’t be petty.  Answer the man before he tears his heart out for you,” Jay scolded, turning to her sister.  Who was nowhere in sight.

“What... Lena?” Jay turned to the man standing there expectantly.

“Uhm...” Jay didn’t really know what to say to him.  “Sorry about that, my sister’s not usually this rude.  I’ll go find her for you.”

“Uh... sister?  No, no,” he said, smiling.  “I didn’t mean her.  I meant you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment