Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch


An orphan’s life is harsh – and often short – in the mysterious island city of Camorr.  But young Locke Lamora dodges death and slavery, becoming a thief under the tutelage of a gifted con artist.  As leader of the band of light-fingered brothers known as the Gentleman Bastards, Locke is soon infamous, fooling even the underworld’s most feared ruler.  But in the shadows lurks someone still more ambitious and deadly.  Faced with a bloody coup that threatens to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the enemy at his own game – or die trying… (Book jacket)


Last night I finished reading The Lies of Locke Lamora and I must be allowed to rave.  Scott Lynch delivered such a wonderful kind of magic with this book.  It’s the kind of story that just sweeps you off your feet and takes you on a thrill-laden adventure you just wish you couldn’t come back from.  I never wanted this book to end.

Set in the city/country of Camorr, where the poor resort to whatever desperate means to beat hunger, cold, and find some means to thrive; and the rich live quite literally in gilded towers, the world of The Lies of Locke Lamora has to be one of the most well-conceived, empathic, most adventure-ripe settings I’ve ever encountered.  It is a world that, for all the fantastical elements that make it seem far-removed from our own, is brutally honest and unapologetically stark in its vivid portrayal of human truth.  You can practically smell the stink of the slums and the sweat of the toiling working class right along with seeing the glow and reflected glory of the elite’s glass towers, the shine of their gold. 

The main plot of the novel dwells on the painful and tragic clash between Locke’s Gentleman Bastards and the forces of a mysterious, vengeful foe called the Gray King.  Locke and his band of skilled and audacious con artists are on a big heist when the Gray King suddenly comes into the picture, compelling Locke to be his accomplice in a mad scheme or else.  It would have been easy for Locke and his crew to deal with this guy, but the Gray King had a malignant and terrible ace up his sleeve – a Bondsmage.  Possessing indescribable magical abilities, the Bondsmage made short work of all the Gentleman Bastards’ efforts to resist or fight back.  With him in the Gray King’s employ as well as a crew of seasoned bruisers, assassins, alchemists, and shark-fighting gladiators, Locke and his friends suffered the most horrific, most tragic consequence.  Locke finds himself bereft of almost everything he held dear, and soon begins a desperate campaign for absolute revenge even if it meant he must pay for it with his own life.

Interspersed among the chapters comprising the central plot of the novel are “interludes” where little by little the history of Locke and his companions are revealed.  Where did they come from, how they all met, who taught them the skills required for them to ply their “trade”, and what were the experiences that brought them together and turned them into a unit as close-knit as any family tied by blood – all these and more are illuminated, rendering you further and further absorbed into their lives.  As a reader I felt so close to them I could just imagine the sound of their voices and footfalls.  I felt so much for them, that it hit me doubly hard when things started to turn bad.  And then I really couldn’t stop turning the pages anymore.  Not knowing immediately what would happen next was plainly unthinkable.  The book just took me by a death-grip and pulled and pushed me to the very end.  Spectacular kind of compulsion, this, that only a good story can deliver.  My eyes felt so sore by the time I finished the book, deep into the dead of night.  I think I might have tried not to blink.   

I loved all the characters, even the bad guys (they were such utterly despicable hell-spawns… perfect), but I developed a soft spot for Locke.  He was a splendid thing.  In spite of being a profligate thief, a shameless liar, and a (somewhat unintentional) killer, he still maintained his own particular brand of innocence and naiveté.  I could just imagine him swagger through town all self-assured and witness his deft mummery.  A rakish leader he might be, but he also deeply cared for his family the way a rough but loving elder brother would.  And then, just like any loving brother would, he turned coldly unforgiving and merciless to those who sought to harm his family.  Relentless in his pursuit for vengeance, his ruthlessness can only be matched by none other than that of his enemy, the Gray King. 

This book was just lent to me by a good friend, but I swear by all that’s holy (or unholy) I will grab myself a copy as soon as I spot it, as well as all of the sequels (I think there are two by now) so that I may re-read at my leisure.  This is just the kind of book that I cherish – one that lets me escape into another world without ever leaving my seat (actually in my case, bed).  How is it possible to get an adrenaline rush while lying down and cuddling with a book?  Well, when the book happens to be something like this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment