Saturday, June 4, 2011

Persuasion

I have loved Jane Austen since I was a teen-ager.
I love her stories even more now that I am in my thirties.
Persuasion may not be as popular as the others,
but in this, her last published novel, Austen shows the true
depth and breadth of her ability as a story-teller.
This book will grip you and draw you in with such
subtlety and grace, that you will only realize you've been
led in when you're already silently rooting for the
unfortunate lovers and wondering, trying to anticipate
what will happen next.  It is an excellent depiction of what
happens when one lets others influence or control his/her
decisions.  Moreover, it is a portrait of how social standing
can oftentimes dictate the path that one's life can take -
if you let it, that is. Austen was a genius.
This book is living proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment