Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald


This is probably the third or fourth time that I’ve read this book, and it still unfailingly captivates me.  I was in high school when I first read it and I’ve loved it ever since. I decided to reread it because I saw the trailer for the new Baz Luhrman movie that’s coming out soon.  I can’t wait to watch that film, and see for myself if it does the book justice.  I’ve heard this book deemed as the “great American novel” before, so that movie has a lot of expectant pressure riding on it.

So many things have been said of this book, so I won’t go into its nitty-gritty anymore.  Suffice it to say that it’s definitely one of my favorite stories, and I’ve always had a crush on Jay Gatsby.  I’ve always felt that Daisy didn’t deserve him.  But then, I don’t think Gatsby would be so enigmatic and charming, and everything else he is, without Daisy to motivate his actions. 

I love the lyricism of the story, the images that the words conjure.  I love the vivid detail that went into the description – music, the sounds of wine glasses and high heels, the smell of cigarette smoke, the sultry stares of the partying guests at the mansion, and the fancy cars.  You fall into that world, and you feel the characters’ excitement, their longings, and their regrets.  It’s a wonderfully colorful, thoughtful, and tragic world.  Please read it and enjoy, as countless others have. 

More on this:

No comments:

Post a Comment