Monday, December 24, 2012

Boat-rides


Boat-rides

I love the way he’d look at me
As though I was a pleasant surprise
Each and every time
His eyes would turn my way.
Our eyes would meet, he’d look away
Then find my gaze again.
What sublime secret
Language is this, spoken only
Between two people’s eyes and souls.

I’ve fallen for the way
He’d gently touch these
Silent undersea creatures –
The kindness and reverence
In his hands that I imagine
Could heal any hurt.

There he sits at the prow at ease,
Riding the waves of his home waters,
And speaking island song. 
I see him thus and feel unburdened.
I long for the sea salt-taste of his lips
On mine and his voice in my ear.

He has lived a short while yet, and yet
His wisdom is deep as the sea
That claims him.  I try to
Picture him in my mind and keep him
There away from the world.
But the world never stops pulling me
Back from this ocean I yearn to drown in.

I do not want to forget, but oh,
How quickly we forget
The things that never were.
Let me dive down deep
Into the memory of touch, sound, sight –
The only ocean in which
We two can meet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment