Thursday, December 6, 2012

UnScene #11


Slipper

The creature moved fast, but my heart was beating even faster.  I felt sure that the monster could hear the panicked muscle’s frantic pumping, that it could smell my fear and knew exactly where I was.  True enough, it turned around, ever so slowly, and peered into the shadowed corner exactly where I was trying to flatten myself against the wall.  It can see me!

“A weapon,” I thought.  “I need something, anything.” I had to move, I knew, but my knees were locked and I couldn't take my eyes off its horrible shape.

It moved, advancing toward me, seeming to grow bigger, and expanding its figure as it stalked.  Wings.  It’s going to fly!

Frantically I scanned the dimly lit room, but I couldn't see anything that would help, and nothing was within my reach.  I was trapped, immobile.  A scream built up my throat, ready to choke me.

The front door suddenly opened and my husband stepped in, a grocery bag in hand.  The startled creature launched itself straight at my face.  I let out a blood-curdling scream, “AAARGH!” crouching and ducking my head into my arms, trying to make myself as small as possible.

My husband took two great strides, brandishing a slipper, and with a great resounding “WHACK!” smashed the cockroach against the wall; a crunchy squish.  It fell dead on the floor  right next to me with a soft thud.  I stared in morbid fascination.  Yellow-green muck was oozing out of it.  I burst into tears, and my husband grabbed my arms and pulled me up from the floor.


“What took you so long!?” I wailed into his chest as he held me. 

Author's Note:  I hate hate HATE cockroaches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment