Sunday, February 17, 2013

Empire - Orson Scott Card


Another Orson Scott Card book that had been waiting for my attention for quite some time now, I finally picked Empire up.  I must say it’s entirely different from the other books I’ve read by the same author – rather surprisingly so.  It’s about a group of American soldiers trying to prevent an American civil war, all the while not really knowing whether they are being manipulated by a very clever, ambitious dictator-wannabe in such a way that in the end everything will fall perfectly into place so that he may take complete control of America. 

 This book followed in the wake of September 11, and I have to say it carried a sense of paranoia all throughout the story.  Mr. Card did however, give a rather lengthy explanation for his reasons to write such a story at the end of the novel.  I will not dwell on that – the politics behind terrorism and civil wars and dictatorships, and so on – I would much rather take the story as I see it.  It’s a very interesting and engaging story after all. 

So Reuben Malich is a brilliant soldier.  From the outset he’s given this all-around-good-guy heroic image.  He seems to have everything and he’s on the way to the top.  And of course someone like him has to be set up for a downfall by the bad guys – in this case Averell Torrent, our ambitious little baddie who thinks himself a Roman Emperor in the making.  Reuben along with Cole, his trusty sidekick, almost but not quite succeed in foiling an attempt to assassinate the President of the USA.  From there begins the many trials and tribulations that Reuben and Cole must go through to get to the truth of what’s really happening in the White House.  Conspiracies galore; left wing vs. right wing factions; a hostile takeover of New York City by weird walking tanks, and so on and so forth, in the center of which is Reuben.  And then Reuben is murdered.  Just like that.  I almost cried!  I couldn’t believe it.  Right smack in the middle of the story the hero dies.  I must admit that throughout the rest of the novel I was hoping that Reuben would pop back out somewhere, that he really planned to fake his own murder, etc.  But he didn’t.  He died.  So it’s up to Cole, Reuben’s wife, and Reuben’s loyal group of soldier-brothers to save the day.  In the end, Averell Torrent is the uncontested President of the USA.  What the hell?!  But the book was quite a statement – it clearly reveals Orson Scott Card’s opinion of governments, wars, religion, heroism, family, and friendship.  I rather think he’s an idealist who’s a bit frustrated by the way things aren’t going in the ideal fashion.

Anyway, it’s good.  I couldn’t let go of the book.  The characters were interesting and the conspiracies were intricate.  The pace was really tight and exciting and you just want to know what they’re going to do next, whether the conspiracy will be revealed or not, who’s really the bad guy, or is the bad guy not so bad after all?   It got to the point where it’s frustrating and I just wanted to skip the remaining pages between where I was and the last page of the story to peek at the ending (I try to never do this with any book – peek at the ending, I mean.).  This is quite a novel experience for me because even though you wouldn’t really call this a politics-themed story, it did have a healthy dose of government jargon and politics involved, which I usually dislike reading about (I read Primary Colors  a couple of years ago and I really didn’t like it one bit, sorry.).  I just hate politics, local or foreign.  Politicians to me are all the same rotten banana, all out to line their own pockets with the honest money the common people shed their blood and sweat for, all the while spouting public service and for the good of the people  yadda, yadda.  But anyway, I actually liked this book.  It was exciting and thrilling and interesting all the way.  So even though the theme didn’t appeal much to me, I’m still glad I gave it a try.  It might be a while, though, before I willingly pick up another similarly themed story.  Better be careful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment