Monday, February 11, 2013

Warm Bodies


I must admit to a considerable amount of prejudice against this movie since I first heard of it.  Zombies have never been my thing.  I do remember enjoying Night of the Living Dead when I was young, and I had loads of fun playing Resident Evil on PlayStation; I stand on the ambivalence line when it comes to The Walking Dead though I did appreciate the first few episodes of Season 1… but all in all, I’ve always thought that zombies were overrated.  Probably because they’ve been saturating everything over the past few years – like vampires and werewolves and wizards and aliens and angels and ghosts… yeah the whole kit and caboodle.  I’ve grown tired of them.  I don’t know exactly what made me think of giving this one a chance, but whatever the reason, I’m glad it got through to me.


I found Warm Bodies to be a pleasant surprise.  Alternately witty, grisly, and heart-warming, it was fun to follow right from the start.  R is a zombie who’s trying his damndest to hold on to his humanity.  He even tries to maintain a zombie-friendship with M, who seems to still be a little bit on the responsive side as well.  Then on one of their “hunts” for food (human brain, in particular), they smell out a group of still living people scavenging for medical supplies.  In this group are Julie and Perry, and R is immediately struck by Julie when he sees her.  But then a violent encounter ensues and R ends up eating the brains of Perry, who happens to be Julie’s boyfriend.  This allows him to acquire some of Perry’s memories.  Seeing Julie in the dead Perry’s memories, R becomes even more affected by her.  He then does the unthinkable – he protects Julie from the other zombies and takes her back with him to his cushy little zombie pad.  And the rest of this charming little story follows.  I really enjoyed it.

But what I loved most was the music.  This movie has the awesomest soundtrack ever – or at least to my ears in particular.  I’m gonna try to find me a CD of this soundtrack every time I pass a record store from now on.  Songs from John Waite, Axl Rose, Bob Dylan, and so many others – just awesome!   I wish we still had our old turntable.  I have such fond memories of our stack of vinyls – my mom would play them on Sunday mornings at full volume and we’d just all be screaming along to the songs.  R was right when he said they just sound more “alive.”  I swear I’m gonna get me this soundtrack. 


No comments:

Post a Comment