Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Castle Corona

I love reading books for children.  I've read so many that I'm quite regretful that I never kept track of all of them or wrote a list of the books that I've read.  Nevertheless, I would like to start talking about them some more.  I have a great love for the classics and for folk and fairy tales.  They just feed my imagination and color the world inside my head.  I hope more people, especially adults, would indulge in the pleasure of literature for children.  We all deserve to feel young again, and what better way to do it than to travel the world of magic and innocence once in a while?

The latest book for children I read was "The Castle Corona."  I immediately bought this book once I saw it because of the beautiful colors and illustrations.  It's so reminiscent of those illuminated texts from the medieval age.  Don't judge me for judging a book by its cover, though; half of the fun of children's literature is in its illustrations and pictures, right?  Judging by the cover alone, don't you feel that this book is just full of magic and mystery?

The story goes around the royal family (who live in the splendid castle), a pair of poor sibling children (who live as peasants with a cruel master in the village), a thief, a story-teller, hermits, and well-kept secrets.  Ooooh. Not bad to start with. 

I like the way the author portrayed the characters.  It's hard to be poor, but even royalty have their own woes.  Everyone here in this story is simply human.  And they learn more and more about themselves and about their misconceptions as the intrigue behind stolen treasures and concealed identities are slowly revealed.  All in all, a well-paced, entertaining read, quite hard to put down.  Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment