Sunday, February 26, 2012

My Girl (TV Asahi)

A family drama about a struggling photographer who doesn't really follow any direction in his life until he encounters a little girl who claims to be his daughter.  It all starts from there. 

I liked the pace of this series - it doesn't drag out too long.  The conflicts presented are also quite realistic.  It also asks the fundamental question of parenthood - how much are you willing to sacrifice for the happiness of your children?  There are some moments that are really thought-provoking and emotive. 

The actors did a pretty decent job.  I didn't have any particular favorite among the characters, but I particularly disliked the senpai he had at the office (with that ridiculous hairstyle).  But I guess that character was tailored to be exactly as he had been portrayed.  I wonder why Japanese dramas cannot seem to leave off with exaggerated comic types like these?  Sometimes it's really overdoing it, I think.  The whole thing could have done without such a character.

Not too bad.  If I were to rate it, I'd say 8/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment