Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Half World - Hiromi Goto

I'm recovering from a myomectomy, so while I'm in bed and not able to move so much, I'll try to read as many books as I could.  I've had this book for a while and it's high time I finally got around to it.  

What a lovely story.  I suppose the best way to describe the experience of reading it is to compare it to watching a film by Hayao Miyazaki.  An uncertain youth, plagued by poverty, bullying, and other such social dilemmas, is confronted with the reality of another world - one so monstrous and magical that she is all but lost.  Weighed by an enormous responsibility, an almost sacred duty, she must learn to make her decisions very carefully as she tries to negotiate the cruel and harsh truths she must face. She learns of profound fear, sacrifice, loss, and still she must find the strength of will and hope where it seems all hope could never be.  "Half World" may seem like it is about religion, or cultural disparity, but it is more than that.  It's a story of growing up and learning about the agonies and joys of life; about being brave in spite of all one's difficulties and burdens; and finding beauty and redemption that is beyond all fear and weakness.  I recommend this book to all readers, young and old. I give it 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment