Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"The Two Princesses of Bamarre" and "Ella Enchanted" - Gail Carson Levine

Sometime in late February I read two books by Gail Carson Levine, "The Two Princesses of Bamarre" and "Ella Enchanted".  Some years ago I saw the Ella Enchanted movie starring Anne Hathaway and thought that it was a pretty cute story.  So when I saw these two books at a book sale, I bought them to give them a try.  

"The Two Princesses of Bamarre" centers around two sisters and their relationship with each other.  One is timid and introverted, and considers herself a coward and weakling, while the other is the complete opposite - and dreams of adventures and heroic deeds.  However, a mysterious terminal disease falls upon the adventurous sister, and the timid sister must find the courage and strength to go on an adventure in search of a cure.  I like the way the two sisters are portrayed, and how their characters slowly deepen as the story progresses and both of them face very different dilemmas each.

"Ella Enchanted" is a Newberry Award winning piece, and no wonder.  It is an absolutely refreshing take on a classic tale.  The heroine is sassy and strong - nothing cliche about her - and faces quite a unique predicament. I love how the author portrayed her and how her interactions with the other equally memorable characters and quirky situations aid in the deeper development of her personality.  The different conflicts that she must face are also memorable and fun.  The author really gave this setting and plot all the magic and weirdness it deserved - very well delivered. Quite different from the movie, I sort of wish I read the book first before I saw the film, not the other way around.  Still, I think both are equally as enjoyable.  

These two books target a younger set of readers, maybe 10-14, but I believe most everyone will enjoy them.  Happy reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment