Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Law of Nines - Terry Goodkind

I finished reading this book in one day.  Being a fan of Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series, I enjoyed it very much.  It's more of an offshoot of the series, but could very well be enjoyed as a separate novel.  If you have never read any of the books in that series, this might actually be a good place to start. Readers will enjoy the fast-paced, high-tension action of the story.  They will also be made to empathize with the characters - wishing them success at every conflict, hoping for a happy ending in spite of all the gruesome and horrific ordeals they must live through.  I think this is the most important aspect of any good story: its ability to make the reader believe the fiction (suspension of disbelief) and to make them empathize with the characters.

I have only two comments for this book.  First, I dislike it when villains start talking about their plans right in front of the protagonist.  I wish Mr. Goodkind could find a more subtle way to reveal the nefarious character of the villains rather than through plain dialogue.  Villains who gloat too much, who brag about their wicked plans to the suffering hero - it comes off as cliche, deliberate, and contrived.  Second, the ending - for me a tad bit rushed and anti-climactic.  It was only at the ending that the main antagonist was revealed, and I'd have wanted the antagonist to have had more depth and rationale to his character.  I think it would have been a bit better if he were more disturbed, self-righteous, vicious, and psychotic.  Still, the pacing, action, and thrill of the plot makes up for all these, and I have to say that I liked it overall.  I give it 6/10.

I can't wait for the paperback edition of "The Omen Machine" to be released here in Manila.  It is the latest installment to the "Sword of Truth" series, and I'm really excited.  I do wish more people will catch on to that series - it's so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment