Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester


Some time ago I finished reading “The Stars My Destination” by Alfred Bester.  It was really awesome.  No wonder it’s considered one of the great sci-fi classics, right up there with “The Dispossessed” by Ursula K. Le Guin and “The Sirens of Titan” by Kurt Vonnegut. 

It strongly reminds me of “The Count of Monte Cristo,” and I love how savagely portrayed Gully Foyle was.  The events of the tale come at you like a barrage of explosions – one after another in rapid succession.  I do wish they never changed the title – the original was Tiger! Tiger! after William Blake’s poem – is so much more appropriate and the analogy was indeed carried throughout the story.   Foyle is a relentless predator in his struggle for vindication and he will just drag you through the muck and debris of his wake all through the tale.  It was amazing to feel like a first-hand witness to his savage pursuit – I couldn’t help but want to goad him further, make him fall faster, and see his fire burn everything around him.  And yet I almost felt for him a profound pity.  Somehow at the back of my mind I was hoping for his redemption.  Revenge is a dish best served cold, so they say.  I’m not so sure Gully was able to enjoy that cool dessert.

I like the fact that all the other characters are equally emphatic.  Their interactions with Gully and with each other make the plot and the pacing more dynamic.  Plus, for a science fiction piece, this didn’t sound like one.  A minimum of unpronounceable words and theoretical physics was presented.  It was really more of a story; a well-told tale.  And I especially enjoyed the concrete poetry presented toward the end – awesome.

Having said that, I don’t think every reader would actually enjoy this.  I’d recommend it to someone who doesn’t want anything soft and mushy in between the pages.  This is a hard-line, fast-paced missile of a novel barrelling through space straight into your brain, dragging you along without pause.  Not for the faint-hearted.   I give it 8/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment