Sunday, May 16, 2010

effortless

I often consider myself a true pessimist. It’s easier for me to see down side of things. Sometimes, however, my awe at people and what they can do still robs me of cynicism.

Take a T-shirt design for example. A person can have a dizzying myriad of ideas for a shirt. But to take one idea, do some serious research, draw and cut and paste, and come up with an unbelievably original design, is too incredible. But a friend of mine did all of it. Effortlessly.

Ah, envy. Its venom creeps up my veins in excruciating agony… but is nevertheless tamed by awe. Some people are really so amazing! One can’t help but appreciate differences in situations like this. It’s so mysterious how varied we are. Someone asked me once, how come most of the time if you’re good at math, you’re not so good at language and vice versa? I’m not quite sure how to answer that. I have many of the same questions myself. How come some are free-spirited artists, and some are empirical physicists? Some are graceful athletes, and some are reclusive authors. And even more amazing is how each individual can do what he or she does best… effortlessly. I’m a pessimist, yes, but I really would like to believe that there are people who could do literally anything and be great at all of it. Wouldn’t that be something? A true Renaissance person!

(posted elsewhere 29 Aug 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment