Sunday, May 16, 2010

Ophelia

There is a painting called "Ophelia" by John Everett Millais. She is a character in W.Shakespeare’s tragedy, "Hamlet". Ophelia, towards her end, went quite insane and died by drowning when she fell into the brook.

It is one of my most favorite paintings. I first encountered it in a movie starring Virginia Madsen and whose title I don’t remember. I love it mainly because of its sad story, and the lady’s posture and the expression on her face. To me it shows her complete surrender to her fate. She had suffered so much grief and agony in life, and only in dying did she discover a retreat and found her still oblivion. I love the way the painter portrayed her, surrounded by the trees, and floating in the water among the flowers, as if at any moment the natural beauty around will claim her and she’ll just fade away and be one with them. It’s like she’s being welcomed home into their embrace.

I feel terribly sad at her tragedy, but if there was anyone who deserved so beautiful a reception into the netherworld, it’s her. When I look at this painting, I often wish that I would also find some of Ophelia’s motionless peace when it comes my turn to die.

(posted elsewhere 29 Aug 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment