Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Lost Art of Letters

Now that summer is here, I might actually have some free time on my hands. Or rather, I intend to make some free time for myself, since I believe that I deserve it after another year’s worth of hard work. Believe it or not, I am genuinely looking forward to boredom - I maintain that I deserve it. I can’t remember the last time I didn’t have anything to concern me. I’m so anxious for it that I’m actually planning what to do once I become bored (damn, I should get a life!), after wallowing in the sensation for a few hours, of course.

I’m going to write letters again. Real, hand-written, takes-forever-to-get-to-where-it’s-going letters. It’s a lost art, and only after a few years since the birth of e-mail. In one of my classes, where we tackled a story aptly entitled "The Letter", I made a shocking realization. Very, very few of the young people nowadays know how letters are written and sent. Most of them don’t know the formats used for letters (the headings, greetings, signature, etc.), or how to write the address on the letter and on the envelope itself, and the concept of a post office has become nearly pre-historic to them. Many aren’t even aware what their home address is since it’s probably needless information to them. I find this utterly tragic. I’ve nothing against technology and all its conveniences, but I still say it simply cannot compare to the thrill and anticipation provided by receiving something you can hold in your hands that has been painstakingly and carefully created by someone else and is intended solely for you. The mere thought of another human being going through the motions of preparing the paper, taking pen in hand, pausing in thought, translating the message through words and into ink, carefully folding the paper and sealing it into an envelope, then sending it out unsure if it will even get to its destination - nothing in the world can be more personal than that. With the letter travels a person’s soul - the contents of his or her mind, the strokes of his or her unique penmanship, and the fervent hope that it will be received with as much warmth as was infused into it. I’m sorry to say that no matter how many smileys there are in an email, it just cannot compare.

Summer is here and finally I’ll have some free time. I’m going to use it to revive an old art and at the same time, refresh an old friendship. I’m looking forward to writing letters again, and I’m very sure they will be warmly welcomed and treasured as any hard-won prize could be.

(posted elsewhere 28 Mar 2006)

No comments:

Post a Comment