Sunday, May 16, 2010

non-debatable

It is in human nature to argue. Ask anyone. Even this statement is arguable. We are naturally built to have our own opinions about everything and are equipped with the means to defend said opinions. Debate is great fun. Ask anyone who has ever argued about anything. I knew this from the start. Now I am faced with the great challenge of spreading the word; to prove it deserves so much more than the proverbial second look. To back me up is a group of underdogs - no one yet knows how much potential they’ve got, except for those who are trying to move mountains to bring that potential forth.

At first, I thought I’d do this to honor someone who had the dream, who had planted the same dream in me. But now, looking at this group of intrepid young men training into the wee hours of the afternoon, it has become more than a matter of honor towards one person. I now owe as much honor to each and every one of these students, to keep on fighting for the dream that I had unknowingly passed on to them. How they fill me with pride! Slowly but surely they are becoming more than anyone ever expected. They unfold before my eyes as sparks bursting into full flame. And I am left with an overwhelming fear that eventually, I might end up failing them. How I wish they could somehow infect me with their courage.

But to give up now would be cruel. Somehow, I must keep doing what I must, and to hell with all else. They have obligated me by proving that they are worth more than all the personal expense and sacrifice, all the frustration brought by bureaucracy, and all the excrement that anyone can throw at me. And I have come to respect them for their determination. They are brave, and they will be the ones moving mountains someday. No one can argue this. It is non-debatable.
(posted elsewhere 5 Oct 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment