Thursday, May 20, 2010

Lite's Out

I don’t know when it happened, but my favorite radio station just disappeared.

For the past couple of years, I’ve been listening only to KLite 1035. The dials of my low-tech radio have been stuck to the frequency. Then, I started hearing these brief little announcements about changing the format and so on and so forth, but chose to ignore them. All that mattered was I was hearing the music that I liked, with DJs whose language, views, and culture I could understand and relate to.

I don’t want to spend money on an MP3 player, I’ve no computer from which to pirate songs, anyway. I have a CD player, but prefer to use only original CDs, since the pirated ones damage the player itself. And original CDs cost such a pretty penny, so never mind that, too.

KLite was the only fm radio station that played what I wanted to hear. Everything from Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, to the Dave Matthews Band, Sting, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers; light alternative, often jazzy, and, sometimes not-so-light rock music. The other radio stations, filled mostly with nothing but the monotonous and redundant beats of hip-hop and pop music, just could not appeal to my taste. I wanted to hear good songwriting and good voices singing – real truths and real emotions. No offense to anyone, but pop and hip-hop to me sound so – unoriginal. They tend to recycle what had been good before and are still good now and try to make them theirs, but just don’t compare. There’s nothing new in the genre – only more bling and more skin and more fake body parts – in other words, nothing that seems worthwhile to me. I don’t want my head filled with bouncing hydraulic-powered pimped-up rides, or fur-lined coats (which should be made illegal all over the world) and women wearing a tissue paper and trying to pass it off as “clothes” while I’m listening to a song. Music is the smooth coming together of sounds – instruments and voices; and what they seek to teach us about life. These are what should matter most.

In vain I’ve been trying to surf the stations for anything similar to KLite. All that’s there are the ones solely appealing to the greater masses, the pop/hip-hop stations, the soft/sentimental/mellow music stations, one or two for the oldies but goodies, and hard rock NU107. So goodbye, light alternative. Goodbye, good times with good music in my ears. Goodbye, KLite.

And now the dials of my low-tech radio are stuck to “off”.

(posted elsewhere 28 Feb 2007)



No comments:

Post a Comment